Sunday, April 15, 2012

Mount Kinabalu - Reflections

I have been thinking.... Climbing Mt KK was just one year apart but the experience was so different! But am proud to say that I have both the B&W cert as well as the coloured one. :)

What went wrong last year? One major reason was altitude sickness. Didn't know I had it till I was back. Breathlessness, no appetite, sleepnessness. I had a real difficult time throughout the climb. However, when 3 out of 4 person reached the peak, there was a sense of envious, regret, disatisfaction, you name it. Haha! Instead of waiting for 2 years, I decided to do it again the following year. Hence, Mount KK 2012.

Some considerations, tips, etc..:

1. Training - Like last year, continued with gym and hike Gasing Hill. The difference - a bit of stairs at Batu Caves and CL's condo. Plus the Gasing hike was with weight. Loaded my backpack to almost 4 kgs and just hiked up and down the super steep part.

2. Altitude sickness remedies - CL got this medicine from one of the local clinic. It wasn't Diamox, but doc said it was something similar. Won't take chances, took it before every climb (only 2). AL's friend also suggested oxygenated water. Used that during climb from Laban Rata to the peak.

3. General health - Gotta be in tip top condition! If possible, that is.... Took vit C 2 months before the climb. Just keep healthy throughout.

4. Backpack - Brought a DSLR last year and I didn't even have the energy to unzip my bag. And I had a bag of medication (too cautious!). This year, I kept my bag light. Brought only a compact camera, necessary food and necessary medication.

5. The climb - A tip we got from observing the porters, take small steps. No doubt we can save time by taking bigger steps but, small steps helped conserve energy to last till our destination. Also, the breathing technique. Regulate the breath. For me, I found that breathing through my mouth helped. Maybe I was born with a blocked nose (?). Oh, go at your own pace. Don't force to keep up with the faster group. You will end of "half dead".

6. Rest - Take short rests, maybe a minute or two along the way. Try not to take long breaks unless really, really tired or not feeling well. Keep the momentum going. Else, it will be like starting the engine all over again.

7. The mind - be determined to reach the peak, do not give up easily, enjoy the climb, give yourself a pat at every marker, just do it!

After failing the first time and getting it done the second time, somehow felt that everyone can make it to the top, of course with the right attitude and right condition.

To those who will be climbing Mount Kinabalu, way to go! You can do it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment